: Full time, Mon-Fri 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Rate of Pay
: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Fringe benefits include medical and a 401(k) retirement plan.
The Lake Havasu City Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) is committed to working proactively with its partners to attract and engage visitors in order to enhance the area's economy, and thus, its quality of life. Our vision is for the Lake Havasu region to be nationally recognized as one of the most exceptional visitor experiences in the American West, combining wide-open waters, breathtaking vistas, outstanding outdoor recreational pursuits and year-round events with a dedication to preserving the destination for future generations. The CVB is a 501(c)6 corporation overseen by a Board of Directors (Board) and receives its funding primarily from hotel occupancy and restaurant/bar taxes. The FY2017 budget for the CVB is approximately $1.65 million.
The President/CEO (CEO) reports to the Board through the Chair of the CVB Board. The CEO manages all operations and activities of the CVB and is responsible for ensuring proper organizational and fiscal management of the organization. The CEO, subject to approval of the Board, develops and guides the implementation of annual operating and marketing programs, budgets and services designed to further the mission of the CVB. The CEO is the primary spokesperson for the CVB.
Education & Experience
A minimum of ten years of relevant experience in upper-level management/leadership and supervisory positions is required; a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution is preferred. The CEO must possess sufficient expertise regarding issues relevant to the CVB to make well-informed, mission-related decisions and command the confidence and respect of all CVB stakeholders necessary to serve as the leader of the organization. The CEO must demonstrate strong planning, interpersonal, communication, and networking skills.
Professional & Personal Traits
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and lead staff, coach, motivate, manage, and develop highly effective teams; set and achieve strategic objectives; and develop/manage budgets;
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- A professional demeanor with demonstrated interpersonal and team-work skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to community engagement;
- Demonstrated understanding of the complexities of working for a volunteer Board;
- Strategic thinking, problem solving, and negotiation skills;
- Self-motivated with the ability to perform duties when needed (including evenings and weekends);
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service;
- Effective and persuasive oral and written presentation skills;
- A thorough understanding of marketing, sales, media, and public relations with a demonstrated ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people;
- Strong computer and IT skills.
General Duties & Responsibilities
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates all direct reporting staff, interns, and volunteers; oversees the implementation of discipline and termination procedures for all paid and unpaid staff;
- Works with the Board in the strategic planning process and annual update of the strategic plan;
- Establishes priorities for program activities in a manner consistent with the strategic plan and intent of the Board;
- Develops an annual implementation plan with Board input and review;
- Provides vision and strategic insight to the Board for fulfilling the mission and overall objectives of the CVB, utilizing input from multiple sources including all staff members;
- Represents the interests of the CVB at local, regional, state, and national meetings to further the mission and objectives of the organization;
- Serves on community Boards and/or task forces and maintain current knowledge and understanding of the trends, issues, people, and policies of importance to the mission of the CVB;
- Assesses accomplishments and review failures as part of the annual performance review process.
Detailed Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as Secretary and Ex Officio member of the Board and the Executive Committee;
- Reports at Executive Committee and Board meetings on the activities of the CVB and progress toward meeting strategic objectives;
- Keeps the Board Chair and Executive Committee informed as to events and actions required prior to scheduled meetings;
- Ensures that all committee and Board meeting agendas and minutes are distributed in a timely fashion;
- Advises the Board on matters of bylaw and policy issues;
- Makes all Board-directed updates to bylaw and policies and distribute them to all Board members;
- Identifies legislative and policy issues requiring the attention of the Board;
- Works with the Board Chair and Executive Committee to structure and guide Board meetings, allowing opportunity for discussion and input.
- Develops and implement appropriate and necessary organizational processes, procedures, and structures;
- Develops and implement operational policies for the effective management of the CVB and ensure compliance;
- Ensures that the CVB attracts and retains the talent necessary to successfully achieve its mission and objectives;
- Holds regular staff meetings and discussions regarding strategic, operational, and tactical issues;
- Develops and lead appropriate ad hoc committees as necessary to achieve the goals and objectives of the CVB;
- Sets goals for each unit and direct report staff on an annual basis;
- Works collaboratively and collegially with the President/CEO of the Chamber and the Director of the Partnership for Economic Development to maintain the CVB offices and building in good working order.
- In collaboration with the Board Treasurer and Executive Committee, prepares and proposes the annual budget for the CVB for adoption by the Board;
- Ensures that the CVB operates within the financial parameters approved by the Board;
- Ensures that all financial obligations of the CVB are met with available resources and in a timely fashion;
- Prepares monthly financial reports for the Executive Committee of the Board and approval of the Board;
- Identifies and develops new sources of revenue including appropriate grant activities;
- Establishes employee compensation policies and levels consistent with regional economic conditions and available resources;
- Produces an annual report to be presented for Board approval at the last Board meeting of the fiscal year.
- Be a proactive marketing and sales representative for the CVB in all target markets;
- Works with vendors and agencies to continually enhance and upgrade the marketing and branding of the CVB;
- Works with staff, committees, and consultants to develop the annual marketing plan and present the plan to the Board;
- Implements all aspects of the annual marketing plan as approved by the Board;
- Makes monthly reports to the Executive Committee and Board on progress toward attaining marketing goals and objectives;
- Oversees the production of all marketing materials (e.g., visitor guide, website, social media) for the CVB.
- Advances the mission, image, and visibility of the CVB by maintaining favorable working relationships as the chief representative of the CVB to all stakeholders, including the Board, staff, PED, Chamber, Lake Havasu City, CVB partners, media, and the general public to promote a collaborative and harmonious working environment;
- Develops and monitors the CVB’s external communication strategy including press releases and social media regarding events and CVB achievements;
- Establishes proactive communication strategies to effectively manage the public’s expectations and knowledge/understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of the CVB;
- Seeks opportunities to speak locally, regionally, and statewide on the activities of the CVB and tourism in general;
- Expands current knowledge of the industry by participating in DMO professional organizations to more effective represent the CVB.
The above information is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work to be performed by the President/CEO. It should not be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities that may be required of the President/CEO. To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform essential functions.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board or Board Chair.
To be considered for this position, please email resume to email@example.com
or send resume to:
Lake Havasu City Convention & Visitors Bureau
314 London Bridge Road
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
The Lake Havasu City Convention & Visitors Bureau is an Equal Opportunity Employer.